Alumni Professional Development
The 2013 Alumni Next Generation Professional Development Session took place on Monday, September 30, 2013, at the CHCI Public Policy Conference in Washington, DC.
Breaking Through: Latinos Advancing to America's Boardrooms
Over 75 CHCI alumni and conference participants gathered to a packed room to learn about the unique challenges faced by Latinos in breaking through the proverbial “glass ceiling” and to share best practices and recommendations on how to gain visibility as well as entry into the corporate and nonprofit boardroom.
About the Session:
Carlos Orta, President & CEO of the Hispanic Council on Corporate Responsibility (HACR), served as trainer/facilitator for the first part of the session, followed up with a panel discussion and Q&A moderated by Victor Arias, Jr., Senior Client Partner for Korn Ferry, with distinguished panelists who serve on and represent a variety of board types:
- Mr. George Herrera, Corporate Board Member, Wyndham International
- Mr. Ramón Murguía, Board of Trustees, W.K. Kellogg Foundation
- Ms. M. Lucero Ortiz (alumnus), Board Member, Mary’s Center (Washington, D.C.)
- Ms. Susan Santana (alumnus), Secretary, Congressional Hispanic Leadership Institute and former CHCI board member
* Facilitators Carlos Orta and Victor Arias delivered a dynamic presentation on board membership, what it takes, and how to get there.
To view the complete PowerPoint, click 2013 Alumni Prof Devt Presentation.
* The Alumni Professional Development Session featured HACR's powerful documentary, Insider Game 2.
Taken from www.hacr.org:
The documentary film brings to light Hispanics being a demographic of 50
million strong, the fastest growing part of the population. Yet at the
highest echelons of corporate America it is almost invisible.
Insightful and groundbreaking, Insider Game captures a group of Hispanic
leaders at an important crossroads. Struggling with the lack of gains
in corporate boardrooms over the last 30 years, they chart a bolder,
more aggressive approach. Their decision could profoundly shift the
corporate landscape; it may also provoke a response they never imagined.
This documentary tells an intriguing and compelling story of commitment
to our community from corporate leaders who understand that in order to
move the needle forward and be successful…you have to play an INSIDER
To view documentary, click here.
THANK YOU to State Farm and The Walt Disney Company for their support!
For more information about this and future Alumni events, please email email@example.com.