CHCI-Telemundo Scholar Intern Program
The CHCI Scholar-Intern Programs are designed to allow students to not only receive monetary support for their education, but also gain hands-on experience in their chosen field through an internship.
The CHCI-Telemundo Scholar Intern program is designed to allow sophomore and junior undergraduate (B.A./B.S.) students to not only receive monetary support for their education, but also gain hands-on experience in a media related field through a 10-week internship during summer 2015. Click here to apply!
During Summer 2015, CHCI and Telemundo will award up to three internships in Telemundo's News Department. Please click here for a full description of the internship placement.
The CHCI-Telemundo scholar intern program requires a 10 week paid internship in which Telemundo directly places you in their Miami, FL Telemundo news station. If selected, you MUST complete the internship in order to receive scholarship funds. Upon completion of the internship, individuals receive a $1,000 stipend in addition to their scholarship award.
Please Note -- You must reside in the greater Miami, FL metropolitan area during Summer 2015 to be eligible for the scholar-intern program, as Telemundo and CHCI do not offer housing or transportation.
Application Check List:
- Application Profile
- One Letter of Recommendation
- Completed Scholarship Application:
- Two essay questions (Suggested Length: 300 words minimum; 600 words maximum)
- Resume (1-2 pages)
- Complete copy of 2014-2015 Student Aid Report (SAR) with Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number clearly shown
- Legal Agreement
Selection as a CHCI-Telemundo Scholar Intern is based on a combination of the following criteria:
- Full-time enrollment in an accredited four-year university during the period for which scholarship is requested.
- Open to current sophomores or juniors only
- Individuals that will graduate in May/June 2015 are NOT eligible for the CHCI-Telemundo Scholar Intern Program
- A declared major related to media, specifically consumer marketing, digial media, news, research, sourcing, or sports
- Demonstrated financial need
- Consistent, active participation in public and/or community service activities
- Strong writing skills
- Housing and transportation in the greater Miami, Florida area
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, asylees, or individuals who are lawfully authorized to work full-time without restriction for any U.S. employer and who, at the time of application, possess lawful evidence of employment authorization.
NOTE: Individuals who are seeking consideration under the “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival” (DACA)policy must possess an Employment Authorization Document at the time of application
The programs that you are eligible to apply for are predetermined, based on the information you provide in your profile.
CHCI scholarships provide recipients with a one-time scholarship of $2,500 to pursue an undergraduate degree.
Scholarship awards are intended to provide assistance with tuition, room and board, textbooks, and other educational expenses associated with college enrollment.
In an effort to ensure the progress of scholarship recipients and encourage completion of the postsecondary program, each undergraduate level scholarship award is divided over the number of years required for graduation. For Example:
If you are a sophomore during the 2014-2015 school year (graduating in 2017), you will be awarded $1,250.00 in fall 2015 (after you've completed the internship) and $1,250.00 in fall 2016.
If you are a junior during the 2014-2015 school year (graduating in 2016), you will be awarded $2,500.00 in fall 2015 (after you've completed the internship).
Students continue to receive annual disbursements as long as they maintain good academic standing and complete the requirements of their internship. CHCI manages the disbursement of the scholarships; an annual check is sent directly to recipients.
The application for the Summer 2015 program is now closed. Please check back in the fall for more information.